Sunday, December 17, 2006

Trying to Understand Male and Female Comunication Differences

One day after my wife returned from our son’s baseball game she asked if I liked her new hair style. I noticed it was considerably shorter and new she had scheduled the hair appointment for early that morning. I immediately new something was up because she usually waited to see if I would notice on my own. My shields were up and I quickly told her that I loved it and asked if she was happy with it. She said that she liked it, but two of our male friends she had seen at the baseball game didn’t. I asked how she had come to that conclusion and she explained that as she and one of the friends walked past each other he looked at her hair and said “you got a hair cut” and walked on by saying nothing else. As the next friend was walking by, he said “I like your new hair cut" " It looks really good on you" and off he went. As the third friend strolled by, he glanced up and said “you got a hair cut” then continued on his way. I said. That’s it? How do you know they didn’t like it? She explained that if the two friends had actually liked it, they would have said more and that “you got a hair cut” actually meant “Oooo you got your hair cut and its short and I prefer long hair on women”. She was miffed that the two could possibly think that their opinion mattered to her. Men! I explained that guys don’t speak in the female hidden meaning code. It’s way to confusing for us and the fact that they even noticed was an incredible event in it self. The friend who said he liked it was just a better trained husband and she should pay a compliment to his trainer. Men and women really do communicate completely different and it’s so confusing. If a girl with what she perceives is a big nose, goes to meet a group of girlfriends at a Starbucks and upon entering, one of her soon to be hated ex-friends yells from across the room "what’s up beak face" while giggles break out then immediately after, the same girl yells " I’m just kidding girl! Now get over here and join the party" "have you lost weight?" The girl with what she perceives is a big nose would be devastated, embarrassed and would never speak to her or any of the gigglers again. She would probably need therapy and may even require a nose job to alleviate her already debilitating insecurity over her perceived big nose. Now if you look at the same scenario but involving guys. When the guy who probably really has a giant nose, hears “what’s up beak face” he immediately feels acceptance, love and brotherhood and he returns the gesture with something like “not much pizza face” to a guy who would actually have bad acne in order to warrant the "pizza face” comment. The result would be a mutual feeling of acceptance and brotherhood. All would be well and friendships would flourish. Why the differences?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Women need a constant stream of acceptance. I tell my wife all the time - "Don't give me a little hint, don't even give me a strong hint, just tell me what you want". It does not seem to work. They want us to play the game. It's the only rules they know. Simple is confusing.

Unknown said...

By the way, dyslexia is a strength you can use to get close to people. I find that if I just come out and admit my problem, the devil cannot use it against me while I speak about the good word. I often tell people I am nervous and it works as a great ice breaker and Satan has no control over the conversation after that. Use your dyslexia to yours and GOD's adavntage.

Unknown said...

Mark, Mathew might need an intervention... We need to take him drinking at hooters again...

Dazed said...

Matthew, all the devil and Satan references are creeping me out. Please reframe. I agree with David that an intervention is in order. Your coming back to the dark side boy!

Unknown said...

Satan, Satan, Satan.
Who's buying the beer? Weak minded people.

Ginny said...

Oh come on guys! Where have yall been. If a woman gets her hair cut, and one person says it looks nice, while the other two say nothing, of course she is going to think they didnt like it. You know, the saying that says better to say nothing at all if you cant say something nice? I mean that is in the same category as "honey does this dress make me look fat" You KNOW what you better say there!

Unknown said...

I'm in if you buy the beer and I count the Hooters!