Friday, December 22, 2006

Make What Doesn't Kill You,Make You Stronger.

One of my brothers made a comment on one of my post that I've been thinking about. He said "By the way, dyslexia is a strength you can use to get close to people" and he's right. I've been using it for years. Every job I've had in my adult life I have become a trainer and or a manager. One reason I've done well at training people is my ability to explain things from several angles. This is a result of being dyslexic. I've always had to figure out the best way for my brain to process information. That requires me to be creative in the “making sense of it” part and patient while I figure it out. Research shows that the dyslexic person is very visual and this helps as well. With the death of my older brother Kelly when I was little, my Aunt at 17, my younger brother Gordon, when I was 18, and then my Dad when I was 25, I’ve gained insight in the grieving process as well. I guess that’s why I always feel compelled to help friends that experience the loss of someone they love. These experiences have given me the confidence to talk about the subject and people are usually more comfortable with me because they know I’ve been there and truly understand. I’m so grateful that my parents had the strength and spirituality to keep it together as well as they did during these very difficult times for our family. It has been inspiring to watch how a true love of God can really make a difference in one's life. I have an even greater appreciation for their strength now that I have my own children.

No comments: